The rural town of Ghent is 10 miles northeast of Hudson. It is home to more than 5,400 people and spans 45 square miles.
Settlers began moving into the area in 1735. Ghent got its name from the Belgian city Ghent. It was founded in 1818 from parts of Chatham, Kinderhook and Claverack.
Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School. On July 30, 1972 the Curtis Vincent Farm in Harlemville was transformed by a group of visionary farmers, educators and artisans.
Their cause was in response to the loss of small farms and dangers to childhood development of an increasingly materialistic world. The philosophy was to buy a farm and provide children of urban areas opportunity to be conservators of the land.
One of Ghent's acclaimed attractions include Art Omi. Art Omi is a non profit residency program for international musicians, visual artists, writers, dancers. It is home to the Fields Sculpture Park and Architecture Omi.
Autumn 1972 introduced the first group of visiting students from New York City's Rudolf Steiner two hours south. They embarked on transforming the main farm house into a bunk house. More than 13,000 children have been educated there via the Visiting Students Program.
Hawthorne Valley is often referred to as "the farm school". It continues to be based on land stewardship, the natural relationship between healthy child development and nature, and principles of nutritious food.