Stuyvesant is a rural town in the northwest corner of Columbia County. It features a population of 2,027 as of the 2010 census.
Being adjacent to the Hudson River, Henry Hudson visited the area in 1609. It was settled in 1650. The actual town of Stuyvesant was established in 1823 from the town of Kinderhook.
The Requa House, R&W Scott Ice Co. and Ice House Site, Stuyvesant Railroad Station, Johannis Van Alen Farm, and the William Witbeck House are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Hudson Valley Real Estate is abundant with rich farmland such as comprises Stuyvesant, which includes the following hamlets:
Stuyvesant Falls – Formerly known as "Glencadia", the hamlet at a southeastern waterfall on Kinderhook Creek and was on the National Register of Historic Places.
Newton Hook – In the southwest part of the town by the Hudson River - formerly called "Coxsackie Landing" because of the ferry connection to Coxsackie in Greene County across the river.
Stuyvesant Hamlet – Formerly "Stuyvesant Landing" and "Kinderhook Landing" near the west town line and Hudson River.
On August 13, 1841, Stuyvesant and Kinderhook celebrated the homecoming of former President Martin van Buren and his longtime friend and previous law partner, Benjamin Franklin Butler.
Riverview Cafe, along with the Kinderhook Historical Society, celebrate this day in history with a reenactment and food. All food is prepared from locally sourced organic herbs and produce. Some sources include Noble Foods, Monkshood Nursery, Stewardship Farms, and Samascott's.