Philmont is a village in Columbia County with a population of 1,379 as of the 2010 census. The village is located in the northeast part of the town of Claverack along State Route 217 and Agawamuck Creek.
The community was once known as "Factory Hill" due to the number of wool factories, and was incorporated in 1891. It derives its name from George P. Philip, who built a 36 acre reservoir to provide water for his mill.
This in turn led to construction of a 56 acre reservoir in the Taconic Mountains to guarantee water to the mills, thus creating the factory hill.
The High Falls Conservation Area is a 47 acre property in the village. It accesses the town of Claverack, and is owned and managed by the Columbia Land Conservancy.
High Falls, Columbia County's highest waterfall, cascades 150 feet before culminating in a large pool. The water flows by Claverack Creek until reaching the Hudson River in 7.5 miles.